Tuesday, February 15, 2011

GABBY BREAKS UP WITH GUS THE GROUNDHOG, CALLS HIM 'A CHEAP BASTARD'


"All he ever gets me is lottery tickets, and I'm pretty sure he gets those for free," ex-girlfriend says

CAMP HILL - It was an unhappy Valentine's Day for Gus the Groundhog this year, as long-time girlfriend Gabby broke up with him. The couple had met on a blind date three years ago and had been dating ever since.

"I just couldn't stand him anymore," Gabby said today. "We had some fun in the beginning, like going to the Poconos and out to dinner. But as time went on, he got more and more lazy. This year he said we'd just stay home for Valentine's; I thought it'd be romantic, but when I got there, he was wearing his ratty old green-striped sweater that he knows I hate. And then he hands me a bowl of popcorn."

And don't get her started on gifts. "All I ever got was scratch-off lottery tickets. He gets those as part of his job [as Lottery spokesman]. It'd would have been OK if some of them were winners, but they weren't. He'd just laugh and tell me to enter the second-chance drawing. Well, I want a second chance with someone else, please."

Gabby admits that, deep down, she knew the relationship wasn't going anywhere. "Anytime I wanted to talk about our future, he would say he had to go hibernate. My biological clock is ticking, and if he doesn't want to commit, I have to find someone else. Anybody know how to get to Punxsutawney?"

Gus was unavailable for comment, but he was reportedly seen heading for his mother's house.