Monday, April 11, 2011

JAMES HARRISON BODYSLAMS 'DWTS' JUDGE LEN GOODMAN FOR GIVING HINES WARD A LOWLY SCORE OF 8


NFL Commissioner declines to issue fine, calls the hit "justified"

HOLLYWOOD - 'Dancing with the Stars' producers will decide this week if Steelers players will be allowed in the ballroom for future episodes after an incident Monday night involving linebacker James Harrison and head judge Len Goodman.

About midway through the show, Hines Ward and his partner, Kym Johnson, danced the paso doble. Attired in now-familiar black-and-gold costumes, the pair wowed the crowd and the judges with a dramatic performance. But when the scores were revealed, both Len Goodman and fellow judge Bruno Tonioli gave Ward no more than an eight out of ten.

Harrison admits he was on edge all evening. "Early on in the show, they showed Hines wearing a Viking helmet. For a minute, I thought he was being traded to Minnesota. And I was nervous for him before the dance. But he did a great job - it was right up there with our defense's quarterback sack dances.

"I just felt Hines deserved more than eight points, and I made my feelings known to Goodman in the best way I know how. I just hope I don't get fined for it."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said later that there will be no fine. "That hit was definitely justified," he said. "Hines deserved better scores. I just hope the NFLPA doesn't challenge the owners to a dance-off to settle our differences, because the owners will be screwed."

After the tackle, Mr. Goodman stayed crumpled in a heap, although it is unclear if he was injured or merely afraid to get back up and risk being hit again. Tonioli was last seen running away, screaming.