Tuesday, July 19, 2011

DAN ROONEY MAKES CONTROVERSIAL REMARKS IN MEN'S JOURNAL INTERVIEW


NEW YORK - Dan Rooney, former Steelers president and current US ambassador to Ireland, stirred controversy today in an interview to be published in the August issue of Men's Journal magazine. The 79-year-old posed shirtless while holding two of the guns he owns to illustrate the article.

The former president of the Steelers was named an ambassador in 2009, and he has traveled extensively during that time. "I've been to 24 of Ireland's 26 counties," Rooney said. "The other two, well, if they were on fire and I had to [urinate] on them to put them out, I wouldn't do it." White House spokesman Greg Aiello later issued a statement, saying, "We are not commenting on any aspect of this story."

Rooney also said it may be time for him to return to a role within the Steelers's organization. "Maybe I'll play quarterback," he said. "I may not be very mobile, but at least I know not to throw a pick on the opponent's side of the field and ask the 'D' to bail me out."

"I have not yet seen the article in Men's Journal nor have I spoken to Dad about his comments," said current Steelers president Art Rooney II. "We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time."