Tuesday, October 4, 2011

BEAR WHO ATTACKED COUPLE INSIDE HOME SAYS THEY WERE EATING HIS PORRIDGE, SLEEPING IN HIS BED


PERRY COUNTY - A bear who attacked a couple Monday morning claims he is the real victim, saying he was merely protecting his territory. Papa Bear, a 300-pound ursine, is the head of a tight-knit family, which includes Mama Bear and Baby Bear.

"We've trouble up on this ridge before," the bear said today. "A blonde chick was the first to steal from us years ago. We were able to scare her off, but it really shook my sense of security."

As a result, Mr. Bear was a big supporter of the expanded Castle Doctrine when it came before the legislature. "It's crazy that I was supposed to retreat first before confronting an intruder," he says. "I'm glad lawmakers changed that."

"I was just protecting my property," says Mr. Bear, "and let's not forget we were here long before you people were."

The Game Commission is searching for Papa Bear, but he appears unconcerned. "A lot of the bears in this area are 100% behind my actions, and they're helping me out with food and hiding spots," he said. "And if I have to go underground - well, I was planning to do that soon anyway."