Tuesday, February 21, 2012

GUS THE GROUNDHOG FIRED; PA LOTTERY OFFICIALS CITE ERRATIC BEHAVIOR


HARRISBURG - Gus the Groundhog, the Commonwealth's second-most famous groundhog, was fired today as spokesmarmot for the Pennsylvania Lottery.

The move comes after several weeks of very public battling between Gus and Lottery executive director Todd Rucci. Although Gus was known for erratic behavior and a messy relationship with his girlfriend, he was still the star of successful commercials written with him in mind.

"Rucci's a clown," Gus said today. "He's a stupid, stupid little man and I'm tired of pretending like I'm not special. I may look like a groundhog, but I have tiger blood and Adonis DNA."

Gus may file a lawsuit claiming a breach of contract, but has no other immediate plans. "Whatever I do, I'll be winning," he says. "And not because I'll be scratching off some stupid lottery tickets."